Thursday 2 May 2013

Chapter 6 Input / Output


}I/O system consists of I/O devices ,device controllers and driver software.
}I/O Module Function
  a) Control & Timing
  -To coordinate flow of traffic between external devices and internal   resources.
 b)Processor Communication
  -For decoding in I/O module ,data exchange through data bus , status   reporting about peripheral , and CPU assigning unique address for   each I/O module.
 c)Device Communication
    -Device Communication involves commands ,status information and data.
d)Data Buffering
   -The data are buffered in the I/O module and then sent to the peripheral device at its data rate.
e)Error Detection
   -For reporting errors to the processor.

I/O Module Diagram

I/O Mapping
}Memory mapped I/O
   -Device and memory share an address space.
   -I/O looks just like memory read/write
   -No special commands for I/O.
}Isolated I/O
   -Separate address spaces
   -Need I/O or memory select lines
   -Special commands for I/O

Input Output Techniques

}Programmed I/O
   -Data are exchanged between the processor and the I/O module.
   -CPU has direct control over I/O
   -sensing status
   -read/write commands
   -transferring data
      -waste CPU time
Programmed I/O-Detail
}CPU requests I/O operation
}I/O module performs operation
}I/O module sets status bits
}CPU checks status bits periodically (known as polling)
}I/O module does not inform CPU directly
}I/O module does not interrupt CPU
}CPU may wait or come back later

Programmed I/O


}Interrupt Driven I/O
    -Overcomes CPU waiting
    -No repeated CPU checking of Device
    -I/O module interrupts when ready.
Interrupt Driven I/O-Basic Operation
}CPU issues read command
}I/O module gets data from peripheral whilst CPU does other work
}I/O module interrupts CPU
}CPU requests data
}I/O module transfers data

Interrupt Driven I/O

Interrupt I/O



}Interrupt I/O is more efficient than programmed I/O because it eliminates needless waiting. 
}Interrupt I/O consumes a lot of processor time, because data transfer from memory to I/O module to memory must passed through the processor.

Drawbacks of Programmed and Interrupt Driven I/O

     nBoth forms of I/O suffer from two inherent drawbacks:
1)The I/O transfer rate is limited by the speed with which the processor can test and service a device
2)The processor is tied up in managing an I/O transfer; a number of instructions must be executed for each I/O transfer

}Direct Memory Access

 -Interrupt driven and programmed I/O require active    CPU intervention
 -DMA is the answer.
 -Advantage :Large amounts of data can be transferred     between memory and the peripheral W/O severely impacting CPU performance.

Direct Memory Access

DMA Function
}Additional Module (hardware) on bus
}DMA controller takes over from CPU for I/O

Direct Memory Access

DMA Transfer – Cycling Stealing
}In cycling-stealing ,DMA controller acquires the bus ,transfer a single byte or word for a cycle.
}Cycling-stealing is not an interruption because CPU dose not switch context.
}CPU suspend just before it accesses bus.
}This allow other devices , and in particular the CPU , to share the bus during DMA transfers.
}Slow down CPU.



DMA Configurations(1)

}Single Bus ,Detached DMA controller
}Each transfer uses bus twice
}CPU is suspended twice

DMA Configurations(2)

}Single Bus ,Integrated DMA controller
}DMA Controller may support>1 device
}Each transfer uses bus once
}CPU is suspended once

DMA Configuration(3)


}Separate I/O Bus
}Bus supports all DMA enable devices
}Each transfer uses bus once
}CPU is suspended once


By     Fam Jiang Yuan

No comments:

Post a Comment